In July of 2008 Engine 17-4 was officially retired and replaced with Station 17's newest addition, Squrt 17. The American LaFrance proudly served the Borough of Smithton and surrounding communities since 1959. It was also the main "sleigh" every December 24th for Santa and all his elves to pass out goodies and treats to the Smithton Area Children.
This American LaFrance Fire Engine was bought in 1959. It was the first new engine purchased by the Smithton Volunteers. It featured a 750 gpm volume pump and a high pressure pump for use with the booster lines. In that time frame high pressure pumps were in vogue, designed to use limited amounts of water to prevent excessive water damage. This picture was taken at the area ALF service center where the unit was being prepared for delivery.
Pictured is Roger A. McGary.
Department members built this two-bay station in the early 1950's. It replaced a wooden structure that was leaning badly. At the time the only fire engine (on left) was a 1948 Ford with a 250 gpm front mount pump. In 1957 Valentines Dairy donated the vehicle seen in the right bay. It was a milk delivery truck. Seen below, firefighters converted the unit into a utility vehicle.
Pictured working on the unit are Bill Keedy (front) and Bill Beers.
1936 Dodge / McKay
Small Front Mount Pump
Do you have historic SVFD Photos?
We would love to see these photos and share them on this site.
Click here to contact us or call the fire station.